2/3/20

Is Salvation Free?

This was an interesting question in my class. It took some thought, but I think I understand it better now. I thought I'd share for any who were curious or confused.

What does Lehi mean when he says that “salvation is free” (2 Nephi 2:4)?


When Lehi says "free," I don't think he means it comes without a price. I think he means that "unto every one of us is given grace" (Eph 4:7). A lot of modern Christian churches teach that grace comes without a price, that it only takes an acceptance of Christ and then we're good. But in Ether 12, we learn at least one thing is necessary for us to receive this grace: "and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me;..."

In Alma 5, it says "Come unto me and ye shall partake of the fruit of the tree of life; yea, ye shall eat and drink of the bread and the waters of life freely;" Yet Alma also asks "now I ask of you on what conditions are they saved?" So we can drink of it freely as we are meeting the conditions of repentance. Some things he mentions are belief in the prophets, faith in Christ's atonement, works of righteousness, being "stripped of pride," etc.

Now, I don't believe that we have to be perfect to partake of Christ's atonement, but we do need to be making an effort. His grace isn't an opportunity for a free ride into the Celestial Kingdom, but it is an enabling power that can help us as we try to get there.

No comments:

Post a Comment